High School Internships
Download the 2018 High School Internship Program application. Deadline to apply is Thursday, March 1. You must apply in person; applicants are advised to read the instructions carefully.
Are you looking to jump start your career? High school internships are a great way to get hands-on work experience while exploring careers and earning a paycheck! High school internships are available to current high school juniors and seniors in the Long Beach Unified School District service area. The Port’s eight-week program offers real work experience and mentoring for those interested in careers in international trade and related fields.
The 2018 Summer High School Internship program applications is available above. Applicants must download and submit a typed application. Submitted applications require student and parent/guardian signature.
Deadline: To be considered, applications must be submitted in person to Pacific Gateway by Thursday, March 1, 2018, at 6 p.m.
Pacific Gateway, Youth Opportunity Center
3447 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90807
Students must have reliable transportation to and from the internship. Selected youth will begin the program at Pacific Gateway’s Youth Opportunity Center earning a Personal Enrichment Training Certificate conducted by Pacific Gateway. The curriculum is designed to assist youth in obtaining essential skills to boost and develop an understanding of workplace competencies needed to succeed in the modern workplace. Topics covered in this training include life skills, work ethics, financial literacy, and career exploration.
Upon completion of the Personal Enrichment Training students begin the eight-week internship. Interns earn $11.00 an hour and work up to 30 hours per week. Interns’ schedules will vary depending on the department they are assigned to.
To Apply Applicants Must:
- Be a current junior or senior
- Attend a high school in the Long Beach Unified School District service area
- Be in good academic standing (2.5 GPA or higher)
- Have reliable transportation
- Earn a Personal Enrichment Training Certificate from June 18-June 21, 2018
- Be available all eight weeks to participate from June 25-Aug. 16, 2018
- Attend the Port’s World Trade Week, Celebrating Education Reception on May 14, 2018
- Submit completed application by the filing deadline of March 1, 2018
- Provide right to work documentation
To learn more about youth employment opportunities visit www.hireayouth.com.
If you have questions, email us.