Did you know the Port of Long Beach awards thousands of scholarship dollars each year to high school and college students just like you?
If you’re pursuing a career in international trade, goods movement or other port-related industries, you may qualify!
Graduating seniors from high schools in the Long Beach Unified School District service area, as well as international business students at California State University, Long Beach, and Long Beach City College, are encouraged to apply. Scholarships are also available to students in trade-related vocational programs at Long Beach City College.
Scholarship awards range from $1,000 to $8,000. Since 1993, the Port has awarded scholarships totaling $667,150 to foster the education and training of future leaders of international trade and goods movement.
Watch a video of the 2016 Celebrating Education event where the scholarship winners and high school summer interns were recognized.
High School Scholarship Eligibility
To qualify as an applicant for the Port of Long Beach high school scholarship, candidates must:
- Be a senior at a public or private high school within the Long Beach Unified School District’s service area.
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Enroll full-time at an accredited college, university, community or junior college or vocational/technical program in the fall of 2017.
- Plan to major in a field related to international trade, goods movement or other port-related industries. These industries include, but may not be limited to, international business, maritime law, global logistics, engineering, environmental science and security.
High School Scholarship Criteria
Scholarship awards are based upon academic ability, potential, professional interest, financial need, character, dedication to the Long Beach community and commitment to international trade and/or the port industry.
The award will be disbursed over four years. Each year, scholarship recipients must provide evidence that they remain in good academic standing in a major field related to the port industry.
The following documents must be submitted along with your scholarship application:
- Official sealed copy of high school transcripts with official grade point average.
- Name and phone number of two references.
- Other documentation that you feel is appropriate
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION MUST BE POSTMARKED BY
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact: