High School Internships
THE FILING PERIOD FOR THE 2019 SUMMER HIGH SCHOOL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IS MONDAY, JAN. 7 – FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 2019
Applications will be available for download beginning Jan. 7, 2019.
Are you looking to jump start your career? High school internships are a great way to get hands-on work experience while exploring careers and earning a paycheck! High school internships are available to current high school juniors and seniors in the Long Beach Unified School District service area. The Port’s six-week program offers real work experience and mentoring for those interested in careers in international trade and related fields.
Deadline: To be considered, applications must be submitted in person to Pacific Gateway by Friday, March 1, 2019, at 5 p.m.
Pacific Gateway, Youth Opportunity Center
4811 Airport Plaza Drive
Long Beach, CA 90815
The program begins June 24 and concludes Aug. 1, 2019. Students must have reliable transportation to and from the internship. Interns earn $12.00 an hour and work up to 30 hours per week their schedules will vary depending on the department they are assigned.
Interns will complete Personal Enrichment Training conducted by Pacific Gateway during the internship. The curriculum is designed to assist youth in obtaining essential skills to boost and develop an understanding of workplace competencies needed to succeed in the modern workplace. Topics covered in this training include life skills, work ethics, financial literacy, and career exploration.
To Apply Applicants Must:
- Be a current junior or senior
- Attend a high school in the Long Beach Unified School District service area
- Be in good academic standing (2.5 GPA or higher)
- Have reliable transportation
- Earn a Personal Enrichment Training Certificate during the internship
- Be available all six weeks to participate from June 24-Aug. 1, 2019
- Attend the Port’s World Trade Week, Celebrating Education Reception in May 2019
- Submit completed application by the filing deadline of Friday, March 1, 2019
- Provide right to work documentation
To learn more about youth employment opportunities visit www.hireayouth.com.
If you have questions, email us.